How to transfer my domain registration away from GoDaddy
- Go to GoDaddy's site and login to your account.
- Click on My Account.
- Click on "Domains/Domain Manager" in the left sidebar under "My Products". [screenshot]
- Click the link for your domain you want to transfer.
- Scroll down to the Contacts area. You need to make sure your contact information is updated and valid, or you will not get the Authorization Code - also known as EPP key. Click "(edit)" or "(edit all)". [screenshot]
- If necessary, update your contact email so it is accurate. Do not update anything else except for the contact email if necessary. This will ensure the Authorization Code comes to your email. WARNING: If you update any information other than the contact email, GoDaddy will likely lock your domain for an indefinite amount of time. This lock prevents you from transferring your domain name and cannot be removed by you. When done, click OK. [screenshot]
Note: You will probably be sent an email from godaddy with the subject line "Certified Domain Authorization" asking you to click on a link to confirm the new email. Click on the link and confirm the new emai address.
- Above is a line stating "Authorization Code: Send By Email". Click the Send by Email link and follow the pop-up (click OK twice). [screenshot]
- Now is time to make sure that your domain is unlocked. When your domain is locked, the registrar has a legal obligation to reject your transfer request. So, above the link you clicked is another line stating "Locked: Locked Manage". Click the Manage link and follow the pop-up (uncheck the Lock Domains box and click OK twice). [screenshot]
- By now you should have an email from GoDaddy saying "The authorization information you requested is as follows: Domain Name: yourdomain.com Authorization Info: A487EXAMPLE027FF." The code shown after Authorization Info is your EPP code (or Auth Key).
Now you are ready to transfer your domain name to Further Design Group.
- Visit https://www.furtherdesigngroup.com/support/cart.php?a=add&domain=transfer. Enter your domain name and click check availability. (Do not enter the .com part, instead select it from the drop-down.) Click the add to cart button.
Note: If your domain's TLD extension (other than .com) is not available in the drop-down, this step will not work for you. Instead, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your domain name and authorization code so we can arrange payment.
- Enter your Authorization Key you received in your email from GoDaddy. Enter your contact information same as it is at GoDaddy. Follow the steps to process your payment for the domain transfer. A full year will be added to the time you have left on your domain with Godaddy so you will not loose any time by transfering. Payments are processed by PayPal but if you do not have a PayPal account you can simply pay by credit card once you get to the PayPal page. It is not necessary to have a PayPal account.
Note: If you cannot pay with credit card, once you get to the PayPal page click on the link to cancel and you will return to our website but an invoice will have been generated for you and marked as unpaid. You may send us a check through the mail and once we have received your funds we can complete the transfer.
- Allow some time for Further Design Group to process your order, and some time for GoDaddy to contact you. After a few hours you should have an email from GoDaddy stating your request to transfer the domain was received and you can still cancel the transfer and stay with GoDaddy. This is a typical security measure, but also works as a stall tactic. You need to approve the transfer in GoDaddy control panel, or else your transfer can take up to 7 days to complete.
- To approve the transfer, head back to your GoDaddy account. Go into the domain management section. Select your domain.
- Hover over the Domains tab and select Pending Transfers. You should see your domain listed.
- Select the check box next to your domain and click the Accept/Decline button in the top toolbar.
- Choose Accept and click the OK button.
Now your transfer will complete without unexpected delays. You will receive an email from Further Design Group once the transfer is complete, and you may contact us to inquire about the transfer status. When the transfer is complete it will appear in your account which you can access at https://www.furtherdesigngroup.com/support.
Was this answer helpful?
What are nameservers?Simply put nameservers are special computers that are always connected to...
This is a code provided by your old registrar, and required by your new registrar to complete a...
Changing DNS Any time you make a DNS (domain name server) change it takes around 24-48 hours to...